Well, I got telnet working by uncommenting inet.conf and running inetd
(where should that be started from if I want it to auto-start?)  As a side
bonus also got my Intellimouse working while surfing through howto's.

I got remote X working by setting XDMCP in my X server.

Now who can tell me how to get my Linux PC to stop making noises with its
speaker whenever it is sending data to my X server?  This is driving me
crazy!!