OK, I think I've learned something tonite...

Mandrake seems to like adding the line:
ALL:ALL EXCEPT localhost:DENY
to the /etc/hosts.deny file. Since this is the case, you'll need to remove
it and add your internal client (Box2) to the /etc/hosts/allow file on Box1
with:
ALL:ALL 192.168.100.2:ACCEPT
 this should clear a few things up and we can continue.

> Do I have to use a Firewall anyway?

Yes, actually, firewalling in linux can do two things: protect your machine
from hackers, and masquerade internal IP addresses so that more than one box
can access the internet. (and other things, but that's enough for now).

Download the pmfirewall tarball from www.pointman.org and we can get that
install to establish firewall rules, and masquerading in a very easy
installation script.

For the file and printer sharing, if Box2 is a windows box, you'll need to
install Samba, if not we're much closer.

The firewall:  once you've downloaded the tarball for pmfirewall, gunzip and
untar it (gunzip filename, then  tar -xvf filename). cd to the pmfirewall
directory, and type ./install  (that's: dot-slash, then install--I still
can't see them dots!)

The first thing you'll be asked for is a directory, choose the default.

Then for your external interface, type:   ppp0

say no to almost everything, unless you plan to run ftp, ssh, httpd, etc.
And if you use chat rooms, say yes to IDENT.

You'll be asked if you'd like to open ports for special IP ranges, just
press enter, Mostly, the defaults are what you'd like to select.

You'll then be asked if you want pmfirewall to autmatically detect your
external IP, say yes.

then You'll be given the option to masquerade, say yes.

The internal interface is eth0.

Automatic detection of IPs is good. Say yes.

pmfirewall should be set up at this point (if I've missed anything, simply
select the default setting).

Just to make sure, cd into /usr/local/pmfirewall and type:  ./pmfirewall
restart

You should see you IP address listed correctly.

At this point, you should be able to ping straight through your new
firewall, from Box2 out to the internet.

Now, I'd suggest you go to www.psionic.com, and get yourself portsentry.
When you've done that we can install portsentry and really tighten up your
firewall box.

--Greg
> Configuration  is         Internet <==> [Modem--Box1--NIC] <==> HUB <==>
> [NIC--Box2]>
> Box2 also has a modem.  Box2 can access the internet but networking is not
> setup. If  I do setup Networking thru Drakconf , the same situation will
> occur. Under "Basic Host Information--  adaptor 1" I use manual instead of
> Dchp. Is that allright? I tried to install the rpm's for Dchp but "eth0"
> fails during boot when I enable Dchp. Do I need Dchp?
>
> I changed the "static gateway" as you suggested to 192.168.100.1------I
got
> the same Message "peer is not authorized to use remote address
> 192.168.100.1"
> Here is /etc/reslove.conf       below
> nameserver 192.168.100.1
> nameserver 208.223.196.128
>
> Whenever I use the "default" gateway  instead of a"static" gaetway ,I get
> the same message except the DNS number is 208.223.199.240-----I have never
> intered this number, my ISP doesn't know (or admit) where it comes from.
My
> ISP assigns me a differnet DNS number everytime I logon. My ISP is of very
> little help with Linux.
>
> Greg , what I'm wanting to do is be able to share files (and printer) and
> also to be able to access internet from either computer. I"m not wanting
my
> LAN to be accessed through the internet. Do I have to use a Firewall
anyway?

> Sorry for my ignorance, the help is much appreciated!!
> Thanks
> Bob

Kinda