I'm trying to install Mandrake 7.1, but it consistently freezes at the
"configuring IDE" installation stage (I have to hit the 'reset' button).
I've tried booting from the CDROM and launching from w/in Win98, lin4win and
full install, graphical and text install, PnP BIOS off and on, always with
the same result.  Any suggestions as to how to fix this (or information
resources on the web that deal with installation troubleshooting--haven't
found much of that)?  I should admit that I know practically nothing about
linux, but thought that the reportedly idiotproof Linux-Mandrake would be a
good way to learn.  If the answer is that I'm therefore unqualified to
install linux, I won't be offended to hear that.

My system:

Pentium Pro 200, 64M RAM
Intel motherboard, Intel BIOS
2.0G WDC HD