I had the same problem with my Matshita CD ROM originally. After tearing my hair
out for a few days I set everything in my bios to default on my Abit
motherboard. Installed without a hitch. Could be sth to do with PnP but it's
hard to say because I had turned that off and it still didn't work.

Brian