Anyone who is tempted to call this post off-topic is invited to
observe that I am talking about recovering from a problem which
sometimes arises during the Linux installation process.

In W95 three or four years ago I stumbled upon what seems to me
a particularly simple way to fix Windows registry problems.  It still
works in W98 & W98SE.  I make no promises abut 2000 or ME;
try it at your own risk.  I also do not explain how it works; I think it
invokes Windows' own internal registry restoration code, but that's
only an inference.

1. Boot your machine into Windows' step-by-step mode.  There are
several ways to do this.  Start with a hardware reset (push the reset
button on the case, if there is one) or a power-up reset (turn the
power off for 30 seconds or so, and then on again).  I do not recom-
mend a mere warm start (ctl-alt-del). When the memory test ends,
hold down shift+F8 to go directly to step-by-step (or hold down ctl if
you prefer to go to a menu first, and then select step-by-step).

2. Step through the boot process by pressing Enter whenever it asks
you a question.  Don't worry about what the question means, just go
on.  At end, Windows will be up in either normal or Safe mode.  If in
Safe mode, shut down & repeat this process.

I have never had to do this more than twice.