As far as installing Linux without losing windows. Use partition Magic
to set aside about 4gigs on the hard drive (after defrag and scandisk
the windows stuff). As has been said, go to bios and set your computer
to boot from the CD-ROM drive. (as it appears you don't have a boot
diskette) The install will go automatically. At one point in the
installation it will ask if you want to make a boot disk and you should
answer yes, put a clean floppy in the drive and let her rip. By the way
the auto install is best for your first try, IMHO, I don't recommend
custom or developer unless you are somewhat familiar with linux. Time
will make you more adventuresome as the comfort level goes up. Good
Luck. (I have installed 7.0 as a dual boot on one machine and 7.1 stand
alone on a second machine, the second one has had three installs because
I kept messing things up in places like Netscape and networking and
didn't know any better than to do a full reinstall. But I'm better now,
thanks)

--
Dennis a registered linux user #180842