Depending on which XFree86 Version you chose to install, there is a file you
can edit to get this to work.

In /etc/X11/ :

Edit XF86Config (us vi or your favourite text editor)
The mouse section should look lije this:

Section "Pointer"
        Protocol     "IMPS/2"
        Device        "/dev/mouse"
        ZAxisMapping    4 5

Edit XF86Config-4 (us vi or your favourite text editor)
The mouse section should look lije this:

Section "Input Device"
        Identifier        "Mouse0"
        Driver            "mouse"
        Option            "Protocol"     "IMPS/2"
        Option                    "Device"        "/dev/mouse"
        Option                    "ZAxisMapping"    4 5
#        Option            "Emulate3Buttons"        "off"

I've notice (on my machine) that I had to comment out the "Emulate3Buttons"
"off" line to get the mouse wheel to work. I didn't delete the line in case
I wanted if in the future.

Note: this will not make the mouse wheel work in Netscape 4.xx For that you
can wither use imwheel (whic in my personal opinion, sucks) or hack
.Xdefaults with the information at the following site...I haven't tried the
hack, but the person who sent me this info said all except a
scroll-without-keypress (ie: shift-scroll) works. I chose not to use if
because the one thing I do, won't happen.

http://www-sop.inria.fr/koala/colas/mouse-wheel-scroll/

--Greg