"D.E.Sofiane TEBBOUNE" wrote:

> Dear Sir/Madam,
> I am writing to you to ask you if you could help me with a problem I am
> encountring with Mandrake Linux 7.1. I am, obviously, a profane in Linux,
> however I am becoming absolutely mad about it. I installed Mandrake Linux
> 7.1, then I tried to install Adobe Acrobat Reader that I downloaded from
> Adobe's site. While installing Acrobat Reader, I had an error saying: cannot
> create /usr/local/acrobat4/bin ... I wonder why it is not possible to
> install it.
> I would be very grateful, Sir/Madam, if you could help me with this.
> Looking forward to hearing from you.
> Yours sincerely,
>
> D.E.Sofiane TEBBOUNE.
> 18 St Clements Road.
> Bournemouth. Dorset. BH1 4DZ.
> United Kingdom.
> Tel. (+44)7748 986242
> Fax  (+44)870 1340578

<Grin> some of the non-brits might be a little confused by your
salutation
to the group <end GRIN>

You have to be root at the time you do the actual install because
writing to some parts of the directory tree only have root permissions.

So.. su to root in a terminal, navigate to the installation directory.
(which will most likely be the directory you downloaded the file to)

and execute the install file by typing './INSTALL' which I seem to
recall
is the setup script name for Adabe reader (Without the quotes)

Cheers

--
ICQ# 89345394     Mailto: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
And 23:59:59 ahead of most of the rest of the world