----- Original Message -----
From: "John Rye" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, September 12, 2000 10:40 AM
Subject: Re: [newbie] More C++ problems

> Charles A Edwards wrote:
> >
> > Mark
> >    The LBA is causing your problem NOT the # of CDs you install from.
> >    I did the Dev. install on 2 machines and on both used all 4 Cds with
no
> > problems.
> >    If your BIOS does not support LBA(Large Block Address) which is a
fancy
> > way of saying Large Harddrives then the bootloader you choose to use and
> > were you install it are critical.
> > Grub has no problem with it but the LILO as shipped with 7.1 does.
> >
> >    Charles  (-:
>
> I wonder if he might get round this by using the 'auto' option for
> harddisk detecting in the bios? It going to be a pretty old (pre '96)
> bios which doesn't support LBA - yes??
>
> Cheers
>
> John

Not that old.
I have a 2 year old PII that has a 1996 AMI BIOS. It does not support LBA
and all my drives are set to auto detect.
In 7.0 LILO would not even install so I had to use a boot disk.
In 7.1 using Grub it is not a problem.
BTW, I checked and there is no BIOS update available for the MOBO.

   Charles

With
> > > the errors you are getting I am guessing the Deluxe package and using
all
> > > 4 CD's (install, ext, application 1 and application 2) It has been my
> > > experience when you use all 4 CD's you will get this exact error. Try
> > > installing the developer version with only the install CD and the Ext
CD
> > > -- NOT any of the application CD's and you shouldn't have any problem.
> > > That is what I had to do anyhow on all 3 of our computers. :-)
> > > Let me know how it works out.
> > > Patti -- Registered Linux User #184611
> > >
> > > Original Message dated 9/12/00, 6:06:08 AM
> > > Author: Mark Thurston <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > > Re: [newbie] More C++ problems:
> > >

> > > This is Mark again, I tried to install the developer version of
> > > Mandrake-Linux so that I could get the developer utilities.
Everything
> > > went smoothly until I tried to make a bootdisk, it said that the
bootdisk
> > > program had failed.  I thought, well I will just make one later then.
So
> > > on I go to the Bootloader... I tried every possible combination, and I
> > > tried installing it twice, the same problem came up,  at the
Bootloader