Steve,

Larry Marshall says that another 64MB RAM will not improve S.O. or printer
performance much on my setup (described in my original query below). Still, I'm
prepared to try it if there's no other way. Also, I'd try KOffice if I knew
where to locate it, and felt I had any chance of making a successful install. As
a possible alternative to KOffice, I'm also thinking of dumping S.O. and trying
Corel WordPerfect for Linux. Any hope for that? If anyone else out there has a
suggestion for a (MS Word compatible?) word processor I can use along with
Mandrake, please let me know. Meanwhile, Steve (or anyone else), if you can let
me know where I could lay my hands on KOffice,  I'd appreciate it.

I note also that impractically slow printer and word processing performance
doesn't occur much as a problem on this help list. What are people using their
Linux-Mandrake for? Or does everyone but me have a Pentium III, 800Mhz, with a
gazillion MB's of RAM? I really am amazed that I'm having so much trouble
getting a simple desktop setup together and running when my requirements are so
completely basic. I was weeks getting my modem/internet connection straightened
out, and now this. Oh well, I'm learning tons, and I do have my Microsoft setup
to fall back on. What an irony given that I started all this to get clear of
Bill Gates and his Bandits!

Regards,
             Fabian