"Austin L. Denyer" wrote:

> > >Strike one for bloatware, I agree.  I once set up a 50-user stock control
> > >system running on a low-end 486 with 16Mb RAM with Novel NetWare 3.12...
> >
> > I know about that too. And indeed. Netware 3.12 would run on that, but not
> > on much less.
>
> Never underestimate Novel NetWare.  I used to have several 10-user NetWare
> 3.12 setups running on IBM PS/2-80 servers.  These were 386dx20 with 8Mb
> RAM!  These ran fine with quite hefty database applications - I only had to
> up the RAM to 16Mb when I added TCP/IP support.
>
> > Hehehe. Yes, these old boxes really had no protection at all to hackers
> > and crackers. But in those days, before 1980, there was not much fear of
> > things like that happening. (Resident hackers in training excepted of
> > course ;)
>
> It wasn't uncommon for the students to know more than the teachers...
>
> > I think I know what you mean. I have used a Prime machine too. It was not
> > that slow, it was actually the first Unix machine I got my hands on. That
> > is what started my fascination with Unix.
>
> Well, ours was of mid-70s vintage...
>
> > >It was in it's own air-conditioned room, protected with the most evil
> halon
> > >fire-extinguisher system I'd ever seen.  (If the ceiling tiles started to
> > >fly, you had about 5 seconds to get out of the room before you
> > >suffocated...)
> >
> > Yup. Been there, done that. Because some failure triggered the halon
> > system to go off. Man, did I have a rotten time for some days!!
>
> Nasty stuff, ain't it...
>
> > >But, the mother of them all was the CICS mainframe.  This was the size of
> my
> > >apartment, with valves (ObTeenager - glass vacuum tubes that functioned
> as
> > >transistors!) and was WATER-COOLED!!!!  Believe it or not, we only
> retired
> > >it six years ago!  This ran a basic MRP system, written in a horrible
> > >mixture of COBOL and FORTRAN.
> >
> > Hahaha!! At the main office of my work they have something like that still
> > in action!! Next to an IBM S/370. (Did you know there is a linux port for
> > the S/370 out??? Yay!)
>
> WooHoo!  I wasn't aware of that...
>
> > The CICS machine is programmed mainly in Fortran 66 (they lost the tape
> > with Fortran 77) and assembler. We're working very hard to cross-compile
> > the code from the CICS to the big IBM as much as possible, but it still
> > takes a helluva lot of handwork. Most code is so old and crumpled that we
> > decided it's better to redo the assembler programs in clean Cobol, and
> > patch up the Fortran 66 code to Fortran 77 as we go.
>
> Should make quite an improvement.
>
> > >I remember being insanely jealous of the guys who could toggle in the
> > >bootstrap code without touching the manual...
> >
> > I could only do the first 64 switch sequences ;-)
>
> Still better than I could manage...
>
> Regards,
> Ozz.

Would you mind posting the specs you used netware with on
alt.games.final-fantasy.rpg? I argued with someone there who didn't
beleave me when I said my schools fileserver only had one processor. I
would enjoy proveing to them that something less that a cray would be
able to run a school network.
Goldenpi- programer, unreal level creator, linux user and all round
geek.
If you are reading this, I sent this mail from linux.