> > > I know about that too. And indeed. Netware 3.12 would run on that, but
not
> > > on much less.
> >
> > Never underestimate Novel NetWare.  I used to have several 10-user
NetWare
> > 3.12 setups running on IBM PS/2-80 servers.  These were 386dx20 with 8Mb
> > RAM!  These ran fine with quite hefty database applications - I only had
> > up the RAM to 16Mb when I added TCP/IP support.
>
> Would you mind posting the specs you used netware with on
> alt.games.final-fantasy.rpg? I argued with someone there who didn't
> beleave me when I said my schools fileserver only had one processor. I
> would enjoy proveing to them that something less that a cray would be
> able to run a school network.

Feel free to forward this if you wish.

The original setup that I was responsible for was as follows:

12 servers running NetWare 3.12 10 user on IBM PS/2-80 (386dx20) with 8Mb
RAM

1 server running NetWare 3.12 50 user on IBM PS/2-77 (486dx33) with 16Mb RAM

These were dotted around the UK up to 200 miles from Head Office.

We then added TCP/IP to link them into a WAN via a SUN SPARC at Head Office.
The NLM used for the TCP/IP stuff was Novix, which required doubling the RAM
in all the servers as they acted as bridges to the IP network (the NetWare
network was IPX/SPX).

The servers were all running a fairly intensive Stock Control system
(Locator), some sites had remote Radio Data Terminals (RDT) on the trucks.

All sites also ran Sophos Anti-virus NLMs with real-time scanning, as well
as NLMs for APC UPS (with full logging and auto-shutoff), FTP, RCONSOLE,
remote printers (including JetDirect), Tobit FaxWare for faxing (send and
receive) etc.

In fact, the 50-user site was virtually paperless.

Performance was not blistering, but was still surprisingly good.  The
company itself was a cold storage and transport outfit, and one of the
largest in the UK.

I have a screenshot of the Server monitor screen that I can send you if you
want...

Feel free to e-mail me if you want any more details...

Regards,
Ozz.