It was Oct 14, 2000, 11:46, when Larry Marshall keyboarded:

>> I just downloaded Opera 4b and installed it without a problem. It loads
>> well and fast. After going through some pages, I think there is definitely
>> a future for Opera with Linux :)
>
>I would agree Paul.  I still can't figure out why the rpms I download fail
>but the tarfile installed without problem.  I REALLY like the way Opera
>displays and manipulates bookmarks.  The fact that it automatically
>loads Netscape and KDE bookmarks is a real bonus.

Yes, that was a nice added bonus indeed! You can use the bookmarks without
a glitch! Really fabulous!

>pages (mostly Linux sites) that I went to.  No evidence of the font
>problems I sometimes see with Netscape.

Again, so true. Everything is just legible from page 1, so to speak.

>The program does have some problems, however.  In the hour or so that I
>have played with it it crashed twice, though it did so without affecting
>Linux which is a step up from Nutscape.  One downside, however, is that it
>seems to save its settings only when you exit so a crash causes anything
>you've set up to be lost.  Time will tell whether it replaces Netscape on
>my desktop but it's got a good chance.

I noticed so. I was going through the settings and it keeled over all of a
sudden. When NS crashes I have to fire up GPS and kill the remaining core
of NS, that takes up all the cpu. When Opera dies, it does so gracefully.

Paul

--
PRO BOZO PUBLICO
Support your local clown.