> Is there a compilable kernel anywhere on this planet that will not bail

What compiler are you using Mark?  You recommended that I download Quanta
and I did.  The compile blew up telling me that I don't have iostream
(that's how I realized that I don't have the basic C++ library).  I've
noticed that these were added to 2.95-2 (I think that's the one).  I'm
assuming you had no such compile problems so I wonder why.

> In file included from /usr/include/errno.h:36,
>                  from scripts/split-include.c:26:
> /usr/include/bits/errno.h:25: linux/errno.h: No such file or directory

Looks to me that this is the beginning of the fall.  The question is why
you don't have that.  I just checked it and I've got it from a standard
7.1 developer install.  You aren't using 2.96 are you?  It's available,
RedHat's included it in their v7.0, but it won't compile the supplied
kernel code.

> cp loop.o nbd.o rd.o /lib/modules/2.4.0-test9/kernel/drivers/block/
> cp: loop.o: No such file or directory
> cp: nbd.o: No such file or directory
> cp: rd.o: No such file or directory

So where are they?  Have they been compiled or did their compile fail
too?  Wish I could help but I haven't played with rebuilding the Linux
kernel.

Cheers --- Larry