-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Greg Stewart
Sent: Saturday, October 21, 2000 1:26 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] Unable to get Cable Modem Working

> Delay eth0 initialization Failed
> Starting httpd: httpd:cannot determine local host name
> Use the ServerNameDirective to set it manually Failed

The first error here usually indicates that a DHCP client failed to obtain a
lease on an IP address. Are you supposed to be configured for DHCP with
@home? Or, is your IP supposed to be static...If @home gave you a static IP,
but (for some unknown reason) either pump or dchpcd are attemtping to get a
lease from your ISP, that could be your conflict... check either top or
ps-aux for one of those DHCP clients.

You'll need to stop the DHCP client if your IP is static. Or, if your IP is
dynamic, and pump or dhcpcd are not running, you'll need to run one (and
only one) of them.

The second two lines are simply the result of not having your host name
listed on the appropriate DNS server, and/or not included in the /etc/hosts
file along with your IP address--they really have nothing to do with
accessing the internet...but they will prevent Apache from serving a web
site on your machine. If you don't run a web server on your PC, you can stop
the httpd service at boot and you won't get these second two lines. Or,
simply add a line to /etc/hosts similar to the following, but use your
"real" IP address:

192.168.0.1   mypcname.myispdomain.com   localhost.localdomain

--Greg