> <<
>  One of the things I see regularly is people's unfamiliarity with
>  beta-test software, both in terms of expectations and interpretations.  I
>  guess it is pretty unique for most people working in Windows to see true
>  beta-apps with all their trace code, dead code, etc. still hanging inside
>  them.  With Windows you get to beta-test after you buy it and the bloat
>  there is more a matter of programming taste than anything else.
>
>   >>
>     Hey! Wadda u mean, Larry?  You get to BUY betas to test with Micro$oft!
> And then buy it again (it's now "the product") and do it again!  Why buy the
> same product only once?  Capitalism to the extreme [the wrong extreme that
> is].  -Gary-

I think I said that Gary.  But what seems to get to people coming from a
world of commercial-only software is that there are real reasons why code
in development should run more poorly than it would if all the extra code
was removed.  Rather than saying to themselves, "Oh...this is beta, I
expect it to be slow and big" they say "Ooo yuck, this is a horrible
program; it's slow and big."  Maybe all Linux beta software should be
released with the statement "This is a beta; it will be slow and
big.  We're just trying to make you Windows users feel at home." :-)

Cheers --- Larry