> Maybe I'm missing something here. Yesterday an article was posted at the
> Linux Mandrake site saying that they are in the final stages of putting
> 7.2 together. Linked to it are several forums where they are soliciting

If it's the Oct 27th blurb that heads the Mandrake news board, I think
that "next version" is a version beyond 7.2.  Since Oct-12th the beta has
been "stable" in the sense that they've said they weren't adding anything
more to it and would only be fixing bugs.  It's also been stated a while
ago that they were going to be burning their distribution disks.

> user comments on what should/should not be included. Based on that, my
> take is that Walmart is selling the most recent (final?) beta, and that
> the retail version is still down the road. The only other posting on the

If it's a shrinkwrapped package I doubt that Mandrake is calling it a
beta...in fact I know they wouldn't.  It may still be one but we can only
hope that this Microsoft attribute doesn't trickle into the Linux world,
though I believe it has.

> LM home page concerning 7.2 is the 09/22 announcement that 7.2 Beta 3 is
> available for downloading. (I'm not the only person who went to the LM

Yes...but that beta3 was updated on October 12th.  It's becoming harder
and harder to keep up with the "dynamics" of all this distro stuff and you
have to look closely.

> Slightly off-topic, but for those of us who've been buying the Macmillan
> packages, will that arrangement still continue?

Well, Carrol...from now on I'm going to get my disks either by downloading
or from CheapBytes as Mandrake seems to feel that it makes sense to market
their products without both of the iso images as part of the
package.  Doesn't make sense to me but it's their decision to make.

I've been buying them and almost forcing people I've been helping locally
to buy them because I thought we should support the effort.  But I can
just as easily download the two isos and then I end up with all the
development stuff I need to compile programs I download.  For some this
may not be an issue but I don't see why I should pay for the privilege of
having 300+ fewer packages I would if I'd just get the two iso
disks.  I hate to say that as I believe that if we don't support these
companies we're all going to lose but geez...

Cheers --- Larry