On Saturday 04 November 2000 09:08 am, Larry Marshall wrote:
> >      There's also OpenOffice on cooker mirrors:
> > /packages/mandrake-devel/cooker/Mandrake/RPMS/
> > openoffice-6.0.5-1mdk.i586.rpm  (47mb)
>
> Have you tested these Tom?  I thought they were saying that they
> were pretty flakey right now in terms of the compile scripts.
>
> Cheers --- Larry

   I took a brief look at it. Only problem I had was I had to su to
root to run the 'soffice' executable. All the rpm does is install
the setup files, installation is just like with StarOffice. No
problems there. It also didn't install a KDE menu entry. I believe
that may have been my fault tho. I suspect I may have absentmindedly
installed as root instead of user.  While I'd classify it as usable,
I doubt someone who needs a word proccessor to get any serious work
done would agree ;)  I'd also describe it's appearance as similar to
that of Mozilla as compared to NutScrape.  A lot of eye candy is
missing. GUI is sort'a kind' 'flat'.

   With Mdk's rpm there no compiling to do.  The 'compile scripts'
problems is something I had also heard. That it was a real pain to
get the Sun released source to compile/install. Either that's not
the case or Mandrake developers (once again) did a great job fixin'
it. Other than the user induced problem (me ;), it installed
smoothly, ran stabily.  The missing functionality in Openoffice is
unavoidable. It's not that some things like printing don't work,
they're not even there. Sun didn't have authority to release some
parts of SO's source.  I forget the reasons why tho.
--
Tom Brinkman        [EMAIL PROTECTED]         Galveston Bay