-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Larry Marshall
Sent: Saturday, November 04, 2000 6:40 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] rh to mandrake

> I agree. There are way too many distos that are beta. Marketing
Departments
> have been known to shoot themselves  many times in the foot.

Good point :-)

> Buggy software in the Linux world can get difficult to iron out. But, then
> again, that's part of the fun of learning. Or, is it?

Is this is a game maybe so.  If it's to replace the world's desktop
operating system, no.  I look at software (all software) from several
perspectives.  Is the software useful?  Is it useful to me?  Will I
recommend it to people who aren't well-based on computers.  So far, Linux
is failing to pass muster in that third category.  If the Linux market is
the saavey computer computer user market than this isn't a
problem.  Otherwise, both the developers and marketeers are failing
miserably.

Cheers --- Larry
****************
Hey Larry,

I think it's a little early to pass judgment. Many devoted users and
developers have spent many hours of their personal
time on creating, developing the kernel and general apps. We can look at the
concept of the rpm. I think it's a great idea. However, I have noticed that
it is still looked upon as a developer's or hacker's(I hate saying that
word) operating system.
If we don't want the beta releases than so be it. We have to start some
time. The software must be released. New users may prefer the visual aspect
while older users may prefer text. It's nice to have both.
It's a long haul but an interesting one. And, if you make a buck or two
along the road, that's okay.

Roman
Registered Linux User #179293