Increasing video RAM would only make a noticible difference if you have under
4MB as it is. I think your best bet would be to increase your RAM to at least
128MB. The best way to speed up a system is to eliminate the use of its swap,
since the hard drive is the slowest part of a system. When I initially
installed Linux last year I had 64MB of RAM. I found my swap being constantly
used, and I often heard much hard drive thrashing. After an upgrade to 192MB
(that's an extra 128MB) I found that my Swap was almost never used, and my
speed had increased massively. Other reasons to increase your RAM to at least
128MB include:

1. Less swap accesses reduces wear and tear on your drive.
2. You really cannot reach your processor's full potential with only 32MB RAM.
3. Linux used unused RAM to cache the hard drive, speeding up hard drive
accesses.

The best thing to do is follow the rule: the best swap space is unused swap
space.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan
        "One World, One Web, One Programme." - Microsoft Promotional Ad.