On Sun, 19 Nov 2000, Tom Brinkman wrote:

> On Saturday 18 November 2000 10:13 pm, pablito wrote:
> > Interesting.  "info hdparm" is a terminal command?
>
>     yes.   (su to root) 'hdparm -i /dev/hd*' will read the information
> from your harddrive's (HDD) firmware (bios).  Much of this information
> is useful in guessing at which hdparm options will best optimize your
> HDD.
>      Once you've determined the best options by running 'hdparm -tT
> /dev/hd*', that hdparm line can be added to the end of your
> /etc/rc.d/rc.local  file to optimize your HDD on every boot.
> EG (I have this line at the tail of rc.local for my old ata/33 linux
> HDD),       hdparm -m16 -c1 -u1 -d1 -k1 -a128 /dev/hdb
>
>     In marginal hardware situations, choosing "hardrive optimization"
> during LM install can result in boot failure or data corruption, which
> is why that install option comes with a warning.  BUT, the same is true
> for optimizing your drives 'manually' with hdparm from the CL, so
> proceed with caution.  Most of the time if you have a decent
> motherboard and aren't (mis)using ata/66 there'll be no problem.

Hi Tom

I am just wondering about the -a128 setting, mine is at 8 automatically
I have a Western Digital AC313000R my MB has a maximum of udma mode 2 but
my drive can support udma3(ata/66). I am thinking about setting up these
options hdparm -m16 -c1 -d1 -X66(It says for ultraDMA its the
mode(2) +64) but I am wondering about the -a option, maybe I should leave
it at 8? also the -u option. It says in man it could be dangerous, some
drive/controller combinations can't tolerate the increeased I/O
latencies. Just wondering what you think about the settings and to get
some feedback before i do anything that may corrupt my filesystem.

 --
Chad Y.
Registered Linux User #195191