Philip Trauring wrote:

> BTW, why isn't this the same interface as when I click to configure a
> printer from DrakConfig? I figured it was the same an ran it a bunch
> of times before I realized it was not.

In DrakConf you get printerdrake, the thing which searches the network
for printers is kups.

> Here's a problem - It automatically scans the subnet for my external
> NIC, but the printer is connected to the internal NIC which I have
> set up to serve IPs using DHCP. I haven't configured the printer with
> a specific IP address since the rest of my network are Macs and they
> connect to the printer using appletalk and don't need an IP address.

First you must give an IP address to your printer. See the printer's
manual how to do so, Linux does TCP/IP networking and therefore it needs
IP addresses for all network devixes which it wants to access. The port
on which the printer listens is 9100 by default. Leave it on this value.
Make sure that the printer allows Socket or AppSocket access.

To let kups scan the other NIC do the sma as you have already done, but
in the window where you can scan the network, click on "Settings" and
change the IP address range to the internal network, then scan again. Or
type the address and the port of the printer directly into the fields on
the right.

> Any suggestions? How do I get it to scan my second NIC? Do I need to
> assign it an IP address first? How can I make sure the IP address
> doesn't change?

As I told the IP  address has to be configured in the printer, it stores
it in a non-volatile memory and so it is conserved even if you turn off
the printer.

   Till