Was your monitor listed as a standard monitor in X or did you have to make
it up yourself? I'm having a similar problem with a Toshiba Laptop.

------Original Message------
From: "Dave Sherman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: November 29, 2000 9:00:12 PM GMT
Subject: Re: [newbie] Performance...

There is another possible issue: incorrect (or sub-optimal) choice of X
display driver. I have an IBM ThinkPad i1400 series, 366MHz Celeron, 64MB
RAM, 14.1" TFT monitor, with a 72MB swap partition. When I first installed
mdk7.2, it seemed slower than molasses -- especially after having run
Caldera OpenLinux eDesktop 2.4 for almost a year with much greater speed.
At first, I attributed it to the new KDE2 being a worse resource hog than
KDE 1.2, but even when I switched to AfterStep (fairly lightweight, though
not the lightest) it was still slow. The biggest problem I saw was actually
being able to see the screen refresh itself as I scrolled thru a web page
in Netscape, or thru any document in any app -- even in an xterm!

What I eventually figured out is that during the install, my video card was
correctly detected and configured (NeoMagic 256AV), but the display I chose
(generic 1024 x 768 @ 70Hz, or something like that, because I couldn't find
my actual model #) was wrong. I was able to reconfigure X to use an IBM
display, and now the system is MUCH faster. In actuality, the software
probably does not run any faster, but because the display is so much more
responsive, it seems like the whole PC is faster.

Dave

At 12:50 PM 11/29/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello,
>         I am running v7.2 on a 433 Mhz Celeron with 192 MB of RAM which I
> recently
>upgraded from 64 MB.  There is an increase in performance, but not major.
It
>is recognizing the RAM.  Is there any configuring that I can do to increase
>performance?
>
>         Thank You,
>         Vincent A. Primavera

Dave Sherman
SoftServ Business Systems, Inc.

"Quid quid latine dictum sit, altum viditur."