I've been reading this thread for about a week now and I finially have
to give in to my baser urges and add my two cents.

Linux is a great OS.  I have learned more about my computer from using
linux then I ever did from using windows.  However, windows was a great
gateway into the world of computers for me.  I would not be here typing
away in netscape on my windowmaker desktop, customized kernel and X
server if not for windows.

I still use windows too.  I dual boot with win2k because I like having
both Os's to choose from.  I think that the Gimp and Photoshop are
incredible in concert.  I love playing quake3 in linux and counter
strike in windows.  They both are very good at some things and not so
good at others.

Personally I like that mandrake has made such excellent install tools
for their distribution.  They have done a very good job of taking the
pain and confusion out of the install while still offering you the power
that is so fundamental to linux, if you want it.

I do not care if linux ever overtakes windows.  I do not care about the
perceived competition between windows and linux except in that it spur
both groups of developers to make their respective OS stronger, more
robust, more intuitive and offer more useful features.

This is like people arguing over coke or pepsi, adidas or nike.  Who
cares as long as I can get what I want from one or the other?

Oh and what I want from an interface is customizability.  Make it so I
can make it look and feel the way I am comfortable with.

Abe