KDE is not a window manager, it is the K Desktop Environment. An environment
offers far more than a standard window manager. With regards to KDE and
GNOME, KDE does not make it easy to change your window manager (although you
can - I run KDE with WindowMaker), leading one to believe that it is a window
manager when in fact the window manager, KWM, is only a part of it. GNOME, on
the other hand, provides an option in the Comtrol Centre to choose a window
manager. Before GNOME 1.2 the default window manager was Enlightenment. Since
then it has been Sawfish. There is nothing stopping you from choosing
something else, although it helps to pick a GNOME-compliant one. While I have
not used XFCE, I believe it is a similar story. It is an environment with a
separate window manager.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan.
        Your mouse has moved. Windows must be rebooted to acknowledge