UPDATE:  I replaced my sound card and everything finally seems to be
working fine.  The old card (SoundBlaster PCI128) was driven by the
es1370 driver; the new one (SoundBlaster Live! Value) by emu10k1.  I
don't know whether the card or the driver was to blame.

Contrary to some advice out there, I was pleasantly surprised to find
that I did not have to unmount the supermount'ed cdrom in order to play
audio CD's.