On Thu, 21 Dec 2000, Joseph Red wrote:

>I think what you want to do is setup a cron job.  Do a search for "how do I
>set up a cron job" & you should get some helpful info.

>> Can someone please give me clear detailed instructions (other than
>> cryptic man page references) on how to write a
>> script file, which opens netscape at certain times during the day?

I am not even sure if it is possible to kick a netscape to a running
Xwindow system from inside cron. Let;s try it...

(And yes, folks, it is Xwindow. Not Xwindows. ;-)

Why do you need this? Note that some versions of netscape do not like it
when you run several instances next to each other (pre 4.7x for instance)
from command lines.

Okay, I checked it by adding

01 20 * * * netscape

to my crontable. It did not work. I could see it tried to do something,
but it could not connect to the Xserver. So cron is not the way to go.
(Cron sent me a mail that it could not open the display, too.)

You could think of a script that checks date and or time, which runs in a
minimized xterm, and runs netscape at certain moments.

I would not know exactly how to set that up all that fast. Perhaps you can
find some useful tool at www.linuxapps.com or www.freshmeat.net

Good luck!

Paul

--
Two is not equal to three, even for large values of two.

http://nlpagan.net - ICQ 147208 - Registered Linux User 174403
             Linux Mandrake 7.2 - Pine 4.31