Over here at my house Linux IS, right now, a better alternative to
windows or Mac.  I'm a full time student and I work part time.  I cannot
afford to buy programs for windows and I surely cannot afford a Mac that
would perform on par with my PC (G4).  I do everything with linux.  I
write papers for school, do my taxes, write letters, email, chat, rip &
encode MP3's * .ogg's, Create images with the GIMP, play Quake3, UT and
other games.  Come on man what more do you want?

I am not a programmer or even a CIS student.  I'm just a guy who like to
play games, write email, etc and cannot afford to spend thousands of
dollars on software.

Honestly I am very tired of hearing these arguments.  Mandrakes
distribution has done nothing but get better for the past year.  Here's
what I mean by "better"

1.  Massive choices in terms of software available on the disks.  I like
choices.  I like choices a little too much probably.  I also like not
having to download every single extra thing I want one at a time.
2.  Installation process is smoother.  More devices are recognized and
configured during the install process.
3.  Stability stability stability need I say more?
4.  Mandrake has become a very good distribution for gaming.  That makes
me very happy.  Now if only Valve would let Loki port Half-Life &
Counter-Strike!
5.  GUI's.  I use windowmaker so these "KDE!" "GNOME!" arguments look a
little silly to me ;-)  Windowmaker is better then both of them put
together.  Enough baiting though ;-)  KDE2 is great.  It's fast, smooth,
stylish and comfortable.  Gnome is very nice too.  I have put complete
linux newbies down in front of BOTH of theose GUI's and had them doing
what they need to do after just a few minutes of explanation.
6.  support for new devices.  I was lucky enough to be able to buy a
brand new computer a few months ago.  Mandrake went on it without a
hitch.  USB mouse, current generation processor, brand new chipset, etc.

OK, have you ever been involved in an art project?  One that involved
more then about 5 people?  Infighting is perfectly normal in those
circumstances.  Linux development is NOT primarily a commercial
endevour.  It is a bunch of individuals doing what they do for their own
reasons.  Some of them are motivated by commercial concerns some are
not.  It is good that there is so much conflict over these opposing
viewpoints.  It makes the overall area of what linux can do/be broader.
This is so much better then a top down corporate approach.  Has
microsoft ever asked you what you thoguht about their products and
encouraged you to write a nice long email and mail it to mr. example
man?  I think not.  Dennis and civilme have done that three or four
times in the past six months!

Mandrake, keep on keeping on.  You listen to your users so much it blows
my mind.  You host great forums.  The overall tone of your community is
wonderful.  The only mailing list I've ever been on that came close to
the friendliness and professionalism of your lists was a debian list.
Thank you.

ok, I'm done now.

Abe