-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of John Rye
Sent: Sunday, January 21, 2001 4:19 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; MarkWeaver
Subject: Re: [newbie] drakxtools

On Sat, 20 Jan 2001 17:49:00 -0500 (EST), Mark Weaver said:

>   I would think that it would be one of two things that cause this.
>
>    1) plain old American arrogance

      NO comment !!

>    2) a very "small" world view caused mainly by spending too much time in
>    ones own back yard and not having enough contact with the outside
world.

      Yes - it does seem for the visitor that there is a 'small world
view'

      A year or so ago, I spent a few weeks in the US, and was really
surprised
      at the numbers of people I met who hadn't been 'Out of STATE" let
alone
      the country.

>    America being as big "physically" speaking as it is I wouldn't be all
that
>    surprised to find out that 80% of its population has never been out of
the
>    country.

      I could 'understand' people I met who didn't know where my country
was,
      or that It's best known after all for it's ability to hold off a
concerted invasion
      attempt by the US Military for nearly 20 years only by means of
Flour-bags
      and Rubber Duckies!! However, that I seemed to know more about the
      general physical geography of North America was a real stunner!!

      I remember one young woman who was amazed that one could sit in an
      aircraft for 15 hours without even seeing land just getting to the
US, and
      THEN spend another 5 or 6 hours getting from one side to the
other!!! The
      same young woman was later heard to argue with another about the
      difference between Texans and Arizonians - her primary argument
being
      that one must be more suntanned than the other - 'because of all
the desert'!!

>    That doesn't include Canada or Mexico. I'm referring to off the
>    continent adventures and such. Its surprising how different the outlook
>    and attitude of the Europeans is from that of the Americans. Being an
>    American myself the difference between the European and American world
>    views is sometimes startlingly great.

      I think you all think that, I think I know that you all think that,
I just wish that
      we all knew that we all knew that we all thought that !! <grin>

      It would be a wonderful world if ALL it's (the worlds') population
realised just
      how small this speck of interplanetary dust we inhabit is!!

      Cheers

      John
--
                         Mailto: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"The number of UNIX installations has grown to 10, with more expected"