just to add a little perspective here, most american states are larger
then other COUNTRIES.  In europe it is not uncommon to be able to cross
an entire country in a few hours by car.  Yes, a few hours of driving
and you are in a region with different Laws, customs, culture, etc.

I revently drove from seattle washington to columbus georgia.  Go to
yahoo and check out that route.  It took 3 1/2 days of continuous
(24hours a day in rotation) driving at between 60 and 100mph.  Nebraska
took almost 9 hours to cross at 90 mph.  Montana takes around 12 to go
west to east across.  Huge stretches of this country are open land with
a small town every few hundred miles.

An airport might be 6 or 7 hours drive away.  An airline ticket to
England from Seattle-Tacoma International Airport costs between 500 and
900 dollars for round trip (depending on the season).  The average
income in very small towns like trout creek montana (9 hours from
seattle at 90mph) is around 5000 a year.  You do the math on
electricity, food, gas etc costs and tell me why more americans don't go
to europe or asia let alone New York or L.A. or other large American
cities.

I'm not apologizing for the colloquialism of my fellow americans I
merely hope to cast some realistic details into the conversation.

Abe