Well, the full story is :

        Portbase = 0x340        this is jumpered on the board
        IRQ = 9 this too is jumpered on the board
        SCSI ID = 7 which is fairly standard
        recconect is enabled
        parity is enabled
        synchronous is enabled
        delay = 500
        extended translation is disabled

thus we get the command

        insmod aha152x aha152x=0x340,9,7,1,1,0,500,0

and for a glorious half hour last night that seemed to be accepted so that
when I checked KDE/Information/IRQ against 9 it said AHA152x and against
KDE/Information/Ports against 340 it said AHA152x.
dmesg identified the board and wqas suggesting ftape as a tape device - even
though that didn't seem to work.

Anyway, now the command insmod etc no longer works, I have the same error
message I started with:

        Using /lib/modules/2.2.17-21mdk/scsi/aha152x.o: init_module:
        Device or resource busy Hint: insmod errors can be caused by
        incorrect module parameters including invalid IO or IRQ
        parameters

and dmesg says:

        aha152x: BIOS test: passed, detected 1 controller(s)
        aha152x0: vital data: PORTBASE=0x340, IRQ=9, SCSI ID=7, recconect=enabled
        parity=enabled, synchronous=disabled, delay=500, extended
translation=disabled
        aha152x: trying software interrupot, lost.
        aha152x: IRQ 9 possibly wrong. Please verify.

So in the words of the prophet and philosopher Foul Ole Ron - 'buggrit,
millenium hand and shrimp, I tole 'em.' (Explanations upon request  :o)  )

So if anyone has any valid suggestions for my problem...

regards

Daryl

(ps Valid suggestions for my problem do NOT include 'rub ointment on it'!)