On Thursday 01 March 2001 03:48 am, Randy Meyer wrote:
> Kelley Terry wrote:
> > You can edit the link by right clicking on it and select properties.  In
> > the opened window you can edit the name directly and also change the icon
> > by clicking on it and selecting a new one.  Permissions do remain the
> > same as the file it's linked to for obvious security reasons.
> > The fonts can be edited with the control center/LookNFeel/Fonts menu.  If
> > you can't find the icon in your panel (It should be there by default) you
> > can type in kcontrol at a command prompt.
> > --
> > Kelley Terry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> I had been trying to edit the name in the properties dialog of the link,
> but it always comes up with an "access denied to
> /usr/share/doc/mandrake/en/<whatever_I_typed_in_the_edit_box>". So it
> still seems to me as if it's trying to rename the target file, which I
> don't have permissions for. Am I getting closer, or still way out in
> left field?

Permissions are the same.  The name of the link can be changed independently
of the original file.  If you log into kde as root or another user with access
to the original file only then can you change the name of the link.  You can
also 'su' in a terminal and then 'rm -f /path/of/file' and 'ln -s
/path/of/target/file  /path/of/file/with/new/name'.

> For the font problem I also had been using the Control
> Center/Look&Feel/Fonts, and the Browser font settings from within
> Konquerer itself. I can apply the default font in Konqueror browser
> settings for the session I am using and the font changes just fine(and I
> am saving Konquerer options too), but as soon as I reload the page, or
> start up another Konquerer window, the strange font reappears again.
> Which happens to be the "a.d mono" font. It just won't go away
> permanently no matter what I try. And it's not a friendly font for
> reading documentation in, or I would just live with it.

I had the same problem with the a.d. mono font.  It is illegible.  I had to
do a clean install with no kde and install the kde 2.1 beta rpms.  Now that
kde 2.1 final is released the rpms will be available shortly.  If upgrading
won't cure the font then only a fresh install of kde will do it   Try the
upgrade first and post the results.

--
Kelley Terry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]