hi, a comment about your original problem.  just to eliminate something simple, have
you tried different brands of blank CDs?

see, my burner was working fine under linux, then suddenly it started trashing about
50% of the CD-Rs i tried to burn.  i was trying to figure all this out and one day it
occured to me that when i used my CD-RWs (4 of them, every weekend to backup) i never
had a problem.

i was using Memorx CDs (should have known better) so i bought a pack if Imation (for
half the cost) and guess what.  they work perfect.  i haven't made a single coaster
yet since using up the Memorx.  and yes, i did shuffle between the Memorx & Imation
disk all in one session.  it was the media, not my hardware / software.

one other thing, on this win vs. linux thing.  i recently installed Win98se on a
different hard drive, but my same computer.  the CD burner would not work.  yet again
-- if you think windows is "easy" to install, i don't think you've tried it lately.
this last install took me over 2 hours and the burner nor sound card work at all.

Adrian Smith
'de telepone dude
Telecom Dept.
x 7042