Firstly, is your drive IDE or SCSI? Does it run off a controller card (almost
a certainty if it is SCSI)? If so, then is the card ISA or PCI? Apparently
ISA cards in Linux have problems with IRQs (they must be set manually). PCI
cards can also have problems, though not as many. There should be an option
in your BIOS called something like "Plug 'n Play OS installed". Set this to
No. Try burning again (do dummy burns so you don't waste money on coasters).
What other cards do you have on your system, and are they ISA or PCI? You
could be experiencing a good ol' IRQ conflict.