Don't even sweat it.. all in playful gest!

As for the sound card. What kind of motherboard to you have?
Most ASUS motherboards have a "diagnostic" that runs when you
boot you system.  If you disable the harddrives, it will stop
there and give you some basic information.

For example, the one that purchased in December will tell me
what's in what slot and what IRQ it takes.  This of course
telling me if I have a few pieces of hardware sharing IRQs, or
if it just doesn't see the hardware at all.  You may want to
look at that first.  I do believe that THAT sound card is supported
though.  Check the supported hardware list on the site.

As for that tar.gz file that you recieved, here's a quick thing on
such files an installs.

tar.gz files are compressed files.  They were originally started out
as back up files if I'm not mistakes.  I suggest you do a man tar to
get some information on the command and what it does.

Like most commands/apps in Linux, there are different ways of running
them.  That's one thing that I love about Linux.  The way that two
different people can do something to get to the same means.  The command
I use for tar is as such.

tar -zxvf <FILE_NAME>.tar.gz

tar is the command the -zxvf are a string of variables.  The z variable
tells it to filter the file through another zip program such as gzip.
x is for extract.  v is for verbose.  (Which will tell you what it's
doing as it's doing it.)  And the f is for file name, which it normally
reads from the file itself.

So, if you have a file called test.tar.gz, and in that file you have two
files.  One, for arguement sake is a JPEG, the second is a plan ASCII
text file.  You run the command:

tar -zxvf test.tar.gz

And you will get output like this.

[root@yoda ~] tar -zxvf test.tar.gz
test
test/file.jpg
test/ascii
[root@yoda ~]

>From there,  you will have a directory named test/ in your present working
directory. (pwd)  If you cd test/ then do a ls -la you will see that you
have two files in that directory.

Well, with a program from source, the usual pattern you use to install
is ./configure, which will execute the config file.  The config file
will prepare the software to be installed.  You can add all kinds of
variables to that, but it's probably pretty safe for you to just run
the ./configure to get you started.  (If you open the configure file in
Nedit, you can see some of the things it does, and you can start to get
an idea of what goes on.  It can be very confusing, but it sometimes holds
info to adding more things to your install.)  You should also open up the
README file in Nedit.  Unlike in Windows, reading README files is an
important part of the software.  Most people ignore the README file for
a Windows app, but most of us pay close attention to the README file.

After the program is done being configured from the ./configure, you
now have to make the install file that will then install the program.
So type make at the prompt.  Both of these commands will render a lot
of text to stdout, I create log files to review later if I have problems
with redirect commands like tee or >.  You can use any one you like.

After make is done running, you actually install the program with the
make install command.  When it's done you should be able to do a
which <program> to tell you where it's located.  Normally you an open
the program right away once you've opened it, sometimes you will need
to open another Xterm window for it to be recognized.

Try using that, and that may help you with isntalling that Sound card.
tdh

T. Holmes
Unixtechs.org
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Real Men use Vi."

* g <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [010427 15:15]:

| Hi Tim - I stand corrected - I should not have been flippant with Mumbo jumbo
| and by no way meant offense to all the fantastic Linux users.  I am envious
| of their learning prowess.  i am sure there are others like me who are
| venturing over to Linux and have a hard time even spelling it, let alone
| doing terminal work (probably 1% of the Linux population).  Thankfully you
| are all kind enough to put up with us and try and help us.  My Linux learning
| is on the backside of the bell curve, hey someone has to occupy those far end
| end points. somewhere around 5 standard deviations away.
|
| The HardDrak doesn't list any sound devices, so I am soundless.  i dowloaded
| the Aureal file, (tar.gz), Todd was kind enough to send me the url, but don't
| know what to do with it, or how to install it.
|
| I have a Crystal Semiconductor for the sound card and Altec lansing speakers.
|
| Again my apologies to the Linux community.
|

| > As a suggestion though.  Stop looking at the console as "Linux terminal
| > command Mumbo Jumbo."  That's where the real power of Linux can be found.
| > That's where you really start to dig into the system and become an expect.
| > To start working with the shell, editing and keeping a 150 line .aliases
| > file, and other things.
| >
| > Also a lot of the people that help you with problems on this list, are the
| > people that love the console work, and some of us don't even bother X
| > windows. We do everything from the console.  Right down to play MP3s,
| > chatting, and playing games!  Wouldn't want to offend them by calling it
| > "Mumbo Jumbo."
| >
| > :0)
| >
| > Hope ya found that helpful, and be kind to your penguin!
| > tdh
| >

| > T. Holmes
| > Unixtechs.org
| > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
| >
| > "Real Men use Vi."
| >
| > * g <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [010427 09:01]:
| > | Wow what a great feature for us Non Linux versed, Windows point and click
| > | types.  In response to the IP Flooding w/PMfirewall:
| > |
| > | Using LM 7.2, KDE,
| > | I get to my message log by just clicking on the Home Icon at the bottom
| > | of the screen, it brings up the file tree,
| > | click on Root,
| > | then click on Var,
| > | then click on Log,
| > | then click on messages Icon (the one with the pencil showing).
| > | it displays the message log right on the screen.  Scroll to the bottom to
| > | see the latest entries.  No more of that  Linux terminal commands Mumbo
| > | Jumbo, back to good ole point and click.
| > |
| > | Works great for us Windows refugees hanging out on Linux, nothing beats a
| > | good ole Point and click.
| > |
| > | To Edit the log file
| > | While it is displayed on the screen:
| > | I Click on Edit at the top of the screen
| > | Click on Open with Advanced Editor
| > | and walah - i can edit the file.
| > |
| > | You can use any of the editors it lists but so far i only tried the
| > | Advance Option.
| > |