> Yes I can rebuild rpms no problem on this system.  In
> fact one of the first things I did was rebuild all the

This leads me to think there are specific problems with those
two src rpms and not some problem inherent in your approach :).

> Yea I thought that I recognized that version number
> from somewhere.  Crap that's not good.

I would wish to get more information about that before I really commit
to building crucial things (especially kernels) with this new gcc. (I
am rebuilding the kernel now just to see if it will go all the way
through, but am dubious about doing the install.)

> huh.  Well, I'll continue my hunt and if I learn
> anything new I'll pass it on to you David.

Well, I was successful in building an athlon-aware gcc. It involved
pulling down the source rpms for gcc from Mandrake 8.0, building it
first for --target-i686, and rebuilding it for --target=athlon just
to be sure. There were a few glitches, conflicts and so forth; most
of them were solved by --force installing the RPMs, which is not always
the best way to go. I also had to backout and reinstall the gcc-2.96
main RPM because somehow /usr/bin/gcc was still pointing to the old
specs file for 2.95.3 (which didn't support -march=athlon).

OK, the kernel compile went all the way through. Before when I tried this
with some other code I would get internal compiler errors and such.  This
whole exercise is more than just getting the pgcc+athlon patches and
applying them to gcc as I had done before -- what amazes me is that there
are several *hundred* patches that Mandrake applies as part of the build
process.