hmm, in total I've tried this with 6 different
packages and I get the same error with all of them so
I don't think it's necessarily package related.

I tried rebuilding gcc as i686 and it hung at the end
when it was trying to write some pdf file???  I'll try
it again though and see what happens.

I've built my kernel with it and a whole crap load of
other tools including tar, bz2, all the RPM tools,
ftp, reiserFStools and every damn program that I use
daily.  No problems so far.

Did you see the email from Todd?  It's very cool that
he is going to help us figure this out if we can't
figure it out ourselves.

This is fun David.

Abe
--- "David E. Fox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> > Yes I can rebuild rpms no problem on this system.
> In
> > fact one of the first things I did was rebuild all
> the
>
> This leads me to think there are specific problems
> with those
> two src rpms and not some problem inherent in your
> approach :).
>
> > Yea I thought that I recognized that version
> number
> > from somewhere.  Crap that's not good.
>
> I would wish to get more information about that
> before I really commit
> to building crucial things (especially kernels) with
> this new gcc. (I
> am rebuilding the kernel now just to see if it will
> go all the way
> through, but am dubious about doing the install.)
>
> > huh.  Well, I'll continue my hunt and if I learn
> > anything new I'll pass it on to you David.
>
> Well, I was successful in building an athlon-aware
> gcc. It involved
> pulling down the source rpms for gcc from Mandrake
> 8.0, building it
> first for --target-i686, and rebuilding it for
> --target=athlon just
> to be sure. There were a few glitches, conflicts and
> so forth; most
> of them were solved by --force installing the RPMs,
> which is not always
> the best way to go. I also had to backout and
> reinstall the gcc-2.96
> main RPM because somehow /usr/bin/gcc was still
> pointing to the old
> specs file for 2.95.3 (which didn't support
> -march=athlon).
>
> OK, the kernel compile went all the way through.
> Before when I tried this
> with some other code I would get internal compiler
> errors and such.  This
> whole exercise is more than just getting the
> pgcc+athlon patches and
> applying them to gcc as I had done before -- what
> amazes me is that there
> are several *hundred* patches that Mandrake applies
> as part of the build
> process.
>
> > Abe

> David E. Fox                              Thanks for
> letting me
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]                            change
> magnetic patterns
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]               on your
> hard disk.

=====
Jesus saves.
Allah forgives,
Cthulu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.