I'm setting up a new LM 8.0 system and am running into some weird problems
with my sound configuration.

First, computer specs:
Compaq Presario 1800T Laptop
PIII 750
320 megs RAM
ATI Mobility Rage video card
ESS Solo integrated sound card
3.5 gig partition for Linux system & programs, ReiserFS formatted using LILO

Problems exist under both KDE and Gnome

History:
A couple weeks ago I started trying to install Linux using a SuSE 7.1
Personal distribution. I had no problem getting sound to work in SuSE, but
the monitor kept causing lockups.  After a few days, I gave up on SuSE and
switched to Mandrake.  I still have some problems with the monitor causing
lockups on shutdown, but they are much more infrequent than they had been
under SuSE.  I now, however, have only partial use of my sound.

Symptoms:
Primary problem - I cannot get Aumix (or any other mixer) to load. When I
click on the icon, I get the animation that indicates its opening, but
nothing happens.  If I try opening it through the terminal, I get no error
message, and it also appears that the program has launched, but nothing
happens, and when I check the "ps x" list of tasks, its not included.  Also,
during start up, I get a "FAILED" error when it tries to open Aumix.  From
the error messages and what I've read elsewhere, it appears that for some
reason, it can't access the sound daemon (which appears to be "esd").  One
of the error messages suggested trying to open it manually through
/usr/bin/.esd, but when I do, it returns an error, and suggested that I try
"esd -trust" to force it to open, which didn't work, either.

The System Bell works, but I cannot play .wav or .mp3 files, nor can I hear
streaming audio files. I CAN use the CD player for audio CDs, UNLESS I've
tried to open the mixer, in which case the CD player will no longer give
sound output, either.

I've tried downloading sound libraries, but the system indicates that
they're already installed.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Kriselda