> PS: Why buy an external modem?  If you must have a modem, the internal ones
> are far superior, but you would be much better off with a broadband solution
> these days.

What leads you to that conclusion? Agree with the broadband solution (I
have DSL) but it's not nearly universally available.

Most if not all internal modems are Winmodems[1]. With an external modem this
possibility is lessened significantly, plus you can reinstall the modem
on another system. My old ISA modem (although it works perfectly with Linux)
is sitting on the shelf because I don't have a machine with an ISA bus
any longer :(.

[1] translation: slightly more parts than a $cientology "e-meter" but not
    much :)

> ~Wynne

    • ... Tom Brinkman
    • ... Pete Clapham