It was Tue, 15 May 2001 09:08:46 -0400 (EDT) when Rod Upfold wrote:

>I want to be able to login as "root"
>press return
>Type in my password
>press return
>and if I want to goto graphics, I will then type "startx" or stay with the
>non graphics screen and type in evey thing...

I only know how to do it the manual way:
edit /etc/inittab and set the initdefault to 3  (as root)

There are nice utilities for this too, but I don't know them, I don't use
them.
Next boot you'll be in textmode.
Paul

--
"Life is not a static thing.  The only people who do not
change their minds are incompetents in asylums, and those in

http://nlpagan.net -  Registered Linux User 174403
       Linux Mandrake 7.2 - Sylpheed 0.4.66