-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Ric Tibbetts
Sent: Tuesday, 22 May 2001 2:12 AM
To: Irv
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] Performance issues with Mandrake 8

Irv wrote:

> From: Pelle Poluha <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> Subject: [newbie] Performance issues with Mandrake 8
>
> > Hello!
> >
> > I'm working as a developer and needs a stable environment to develop and
> > test deployments in. So I want to switch from Windows. I need stability
> but
> > at the same time I want speed and a practical UI (read GUI). I need a
> smooth
> > file manager, easy  access to OS, an editor, browser, email client (the
> > usual I guess) and a C++ & Java IDE.
>
> That you'll have  - but not with KDE 2, I'm afraid.
> Even people with 1ghz / 256 mb machines have reported slowness.
> My 300mhz / 128 meg pc is too slow to be usable, but not quite as
> slow as you report - usually KDE takes 30-40 seconds, and new apps
> or windows 10 - 20 seconds.
>
> The good news is that KDE 1.x works just fine. Try an older version of
> Mandrake or SuSE or RedHat. They're all plenty fast.

I feel compelled to add to this.
I'm running LM 8.0 w/KDE2 on a 400 PII, with great success!
I've experienced NONE of the slowness reported. While I admit that some of
the
"lean & mean" windows managers come up a lot faster, they're also doing a
lot
less for you. KDE is more than just a window manager, it's a desktop
environment. Big difference.

Anyway. Just wanted to throw that in. My KDE 2. runs great on a 400 PII. It
has
a modest 256MB ram, and about 30GB of disk to roam on. I'd suggest anyone
getting performance as slow as is being reported, needs to do some serious
digging into their configurations. Something is wrong.

        Ric

> > I opted for Mandrake because I've heard a lot of good things about it.
So
> > downloaded 8.0 last week and eagerly installed it on my AMD K333 machine
> (96
> > mb, Riva TNT) on a 2 gig partition. As I've followed the development of
> KDE
> > with great interest, I  chose KDE as default windows manager (and it has
> > KDevelop).
> >
> > But it's really slow. Just loading Mandrake takes like 3-4 minutes. Some
> of
> > it, I can understand. In the installation process, I included lots of
apps
> > and some of them gets loaded when Mandrake starts (like MySql and
> postgres,
> > probably some more servers). But that surely doesn't account for the
> > immensly slow loading of the OS.
> >
> > And then I start KDE... It takes another 2-3 minutes. And using it is
> awful.
> > just can't use it. I tried Window Maker instead and it worked better.
But
> > don't want to drop KDE just yet. There must be something wrong with the
> > configuration. I also tried Gnome but it started to look for a trash
> folder
> > which it didn't find. Although I canceled that search, it seemed like it
> > continued to search for the folder because the hd were working really
hard
> > all the time and everything worked even slower than in KDE.
> >
> > There are also some more strange things happening:
> > - when I leave the windows manager and come to the 'console', I get a
line
> > typed on the screen all the time: "Sending ICMP signal...failed" (or
> > something like that). It effectively stops me from working in console
> mode.
> > - it seems like I've lost my internet connection. During installation, I
> > selected 'DHCP-server' when asked for IP address. And I managed to do
some
> > surfing using Konqueror. But after installing Gnome and Window Maker,
> > something must have happened to the configuration.
> > - shutting down or restaring the OS always hangs the machine.
> > - when I start Windows instead, using the boot manager, the initial
> > process seems to be slower now than before. It's not a big deal because
it
> > works fine when Windows is loaded but it might give a clue to why the
> system
> > is so slow when I start Linux.
> >
> > Please advice!
> >
> > Regards,