The Simple answer is this,, There is a problem with the config or something
on the computers that are having slowness probs with KDE2,, I have it
running an a 200mmx with 64 mb of ram, it takes about 25 to 30 seconds to
load, and is as fast as my PII450, it is also faster then win98 was on the
same box...

first thing I'd do if I ran into this problem, is download the src rpm's and
rebuild them on the system that you plan on using them on... That will make
some difference..... (it probably runs well on my 200mmx because mandrake
compiled it to me.... its all i586....

(unless of course you only have an i586 in which case you will probably get
no improvment at all....)

>From this point on, I have decided as a general rule to rebuild all updates
and downloads I do to any of my machines... It doesn't take much extra
effort, and I think when I have my entire distro running on optimised code
for my systems, it will make a substantial difference overall.....

give it a shot,, it certainly can't help....

regards

Frank