On Monday 21 May 2001 08:01, Irv wrote:
> From: Pelle Poluha <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> Subject: [newbie] Performance issues with Mandrake 8
>
> > Hello!
> >
> > I'm working as a developer and needs a stable environment to develop and
> > test deployments in. So I want to switch from Windows. I need stability
>
> but
>
> > at the same time I want speed and a practical UI (read GUI). I need a
>
> smooth
>
> > file manager, easy  access to OS, an editor, browser, email client (the
> > usual I guess) and a C++ & Java IDE.
>
> That you'll have  - but not with KDE 2, I'm afraid.
> Even people with 1ghz / 256 mb machines have reported slowness.
> My 300mhz / 128 meg pc is too slow to be usable, but not quite as
> slow as you report - usually KDE takes 30-40 seconds, and new apps
> or windows 10 - 20 seconds.
>
> The good news is that KDE 1.x works just fine. Try an older version of
> Mandrake or SuSE or RedHat. They're all plenty fast.
>
> Regards,
> Irv
>
> > I opted for Mandrake because I've heard a lot of good things about it. So

> > downloaded 8.0 last week and eagerly installed it on my AMD K333 machine
>
> (96
>
> > mb, Riva TNT) on a 2 gig partition. As I've followed the development of
>
> KDE
>
> > with great interest, I  chose KDE as default windows manager (and it has
> > KDevelop).
> >
> > But it's really slow. Just loading Mandrake takes like 3-4 minutes. Some
>
> of
>
> > it, I can understand. In the installation process, I included lots of
> > apps and some of them gets loaded when Mandrake starts (like MySql and
>
> postgres,
>
> > probably some more servers). But that surely doesn't account for the
> > immensly slow loading of the OS.
> >
> > And then I start KDE... It takes another 2-3 minutes. And using it is
>
> awful.

> > just can't use it. I tried Window Maker instead and it worked better. But

> > don't want to drop KDE just yet. There must be something wrong with the
> > configuration. I also tried Gnome but it started to look for a trash
>
> folder
>
> > which it didn't find. Although I canceled that search, it seemed like it
> > continued to search for the folder because the hd were working really
> > hard all the time and everything worked even slower than in KDE.
> >
> > There are also some more strange things happening:
> > - when I leave the windows manager and come to the 'console', I get a
> > line typed on the screen all the time: "Sending ICMP signal...failed" (or
> > something like that). It effectively stops me from working in console
>
> mode.
>
> > - it seems like I've lost my internet connection. During installation, I
> > selected 'DHCP-server' when asked for IP address. And I managed to do
> > some surfing using Konqueror. But after installing Gnome and Window
> [...]

Grrrr!

The speed you perceive will be related to the performance of your HDDs more
than any other single factor.  I am doing fine with a Celeron 366 and a
well-tuned disk drive which turns up a read rate of 31.89Mb/s

I should have a disk optimizer out next week for testing.  It will probably
make a world of difference.

Civileme