On Tuesday 22 May 2001 12:56, Todd Flinders wrote:
> Yes, I'm especially interested in Civileme's tool he's
> working on to install a Maxtor controller card.  I
> wonder if I should get that for RAID 0 instead of the
> 3ware.  3ware has good support, but only goes up to
> ATA 66.
>
> How important is ATA 100 anyway for RAID 0???  Should
> I even be concerned about that.  I'm think that
> because I have 2 ATA 100 HDs (IBMs), that it would be
> a waste to get the 66 controller.  Am I just being
> foolish?  Is the 66 fine?

My tests on ATA/66 and ATA/100 don't give you much to choose.

the hdparm 64M read test seems to peak at slightly under 32 Mb/s for 66 and
might go as high as 35Mb/s for ATA100.  Both basically transfer data faster
than it can spin onto or off the disk itself.  My disk optimizer, which is
based on a database, searches for a saddle-point where speed retuns diminish
and noise immunity drops.  The big surprise is that over half the ATA/100
setups I have tested end up with an ATA/66 setting from the optimizer, and
most of those actually run faster at 66  (no repeats for channel noise
problems).

You actually do not need my tool to install using the cheap Maxtor card--it
just eliminates a complicated series of steps that are a pain in the ass for
experts and probably smoke and mirrors for newbies.

Civileme