On Friday 08 June 2001 12:18 pm, Mark Stewart wrote:
> > > The chipset to avoid is VIA with the 686B Southbridge.  This means most
> > > modern KT133As and Apollo Pros.  That is a large portion of the
> >
> > Motherboard
> >
> > > Market
>
> Really? I bought a Tyan Trinity 400 S1854 specifically to run Mandrake.
> The spec sheets lists the chipset as VIA Apollo Pro 133A (VT82C694X &
> VT82C596A). I'm guesssing the latter two identifiers are the north and
> southbridge. If so am I safe?
>
> It's been running Mandrake 7.2 quite reliably so far...

I have the same motherboard; I've successfully run Manrake 7.0, 7.1, 7.2 and
now 8.0 on it, as well as a few other distributions.  Also Windows 98 and
98SE with no motherboard-related problems AFAIK, although Windows has enough
problems of its own that a mobo-related bug could easily go unnoticed.

> In this vein, it would be really great if Mandrake were to start listing
> motherboards along with the rest of the hardware compatible lists. The
> comments people have made to the effect of "VIA is well known for having
> problems" are somewhat exasperating to folks like myself who researched
> their purchases heavily yet still apparently made the wrong choices because
> they didn't also read the kernel dev mailing list.

I like this idea!  It may be that some motherboards with the "problematic"
VIA chipsets somehow avoid those problems, which would suggest that the
problems occur only when the chipsets are combined with other components in a
particular manner.  IOW, it may be the overall design of the motherboard
that's the culprit, and not necessarily the particular chipset.
--
Walter Luffman, [EMAIL PROTECTED]    Medina, TN USA
Supercharged with extra glucose! (Type 2 diabetic 5/99, d/e/m)