On Thursday 07 June 2001 19:20, s wrote:
> Seems I have to replace my mobo, an Abit SE6 due to a blown ps/2 port and
> can't hold out the 2 or 3 weeks for warranty service.  So, which chipset is
> it that we should avoid?
>
> I'd like to continue to use my current hardware which is exclusively ide,
> sdram 133 and pIII cpu.  Any suggestions for a good one (mobo or chipset)?
> Asus and Abit have done messed up on me, but I have an open mind...  :-)
> I've had pretty good luck with biostar, what do you think about them?
> TIA,
> -s

Look for Shuttle (www.spacewalker.com) with an SiS630 chipset.  It will
accommodate your current hardware and nothing is more linux-friendly.  It
does have a very nice on-board 3D graphics and GPL drivers for everything but
the possibly included PCTel Linmodem are on the SiS site and GPLed.  The
PCTel driver is not GPL.

The chipset to avoid is VIA with the 686B Southbridge.  This means most
modern KT133As and Apollo Pros.  That is a large portion of the Motherboard
Market

There is also a Matsonic with the SiS 630 chipset,  MS7308E, and perhaps some
from Amptron or PCChips (and their quality seems to have risen recently
though I used to hate them).

Naturally most Intel Chipsets, except the 820, are probably OK.

The SiS 630 and 730 and the Intel GX chipsets are the ones where the BIOS can
be directly replaced by linux

Boot to framebuffer X in 3 seconds, anyone?

Civileme