I think that you have hit on the crux of the problem for Linux...it still
requires a fairly high degree of technical proficiency to install and run
it.  As long as this is the case, MS and MAC will have an advantage in the
consumer market.  Granted, this platform has come a very long way with the
improvements in KDE and Gnome just in the last year, but it is still full of
glitches that will hamper it being widely distributed and pre-installed on
home machines.

For example, I have had a number of problems getting printing to work
correctly since I installed LM8.  It turns out that I had to go in and
change some settings in a cup.conf file to get it even half way reliable.  I
also have had problems upgrading as the RPM manager does not seem to have a
list of update sites except in the security tab.  This can be confusing (and
still is to me) because when one sees a tab for security, he/she will assume
that this is for security related updates only.  What if I don't want that
kind of update?  Where do I get them?

Burning CD's is another problem.  I have tried to get the two cd burning
programs installed by default to burn cds.  Gcombust finally has, but I
can't get it to make a bootable copy of the install disk 1 for LM8.  There
is no documentation I can find and the it certainly not self explanatory.

My point is that unless one is very competent with OS's, Linux is hard to
use and understand.  Even when one has been working in the field for 27
years as I have, there is a steep learning curve.  For all of Microsoft's
problems, their OS works most of the time out of the box and is not that
hard for the average consumer to use.   There are many sources of help for
the non-techie as well as the tech.  Classes abound (both for free and for
fee) on how to use things such as Word and IE5.  ( I know because I am the
automation coordinator for a public library system and we offer free
classes.)  These are hard things for any OS to overcome.  Can it be done?
Yes, but the platform will have to continue to mature and great emphasis
will have to be made on improving and simplifying interfaces and insulating
the non-technical user from the internals of the system.  Most users will
not put up with what I and many others who have posted here for help have
had to go through.  The difference between them and us is that we have the
mindset of not letting the computer win and enough technical know-how to try
different things.

Perhaps, as world governments and more in business embrace the concepts that
Linux is founded upon, and time effort and money are put into simplifying
things, then the average consumer will be willing and able to buy into it
also.  The next couple of years should be interesting, especially
considering what MS is doing to combat piracy.

BTW, I am a user who has installed Linux twice.  Once about a year ago and
then abandoned it because I did not have time to learn it and now, because I
wish to get my feet wet into the "Unix" world and because I don't like what
MS is getting ready to do with its licensing.  They are not intended to bash
anybody or anything, but only to honestly express what I feel could hold up
the revolution.  Before anyone flames me, please let me get my asbestos
underwear!

Wendell Gragg