On Sat, 16 Jun 2001 06:11, Wendell Gragg wrote:
> I think that you have hit on the crux of the problem for Linux...it
> still requires a fairly high degree of technical proficiency to
> install and run it.  As long as this is the case, MS and MAC will
> have an advantage in the consumer market.  Granted, this platform
> has come a very long way with the improvements in KDE and Gnome just
> in the last year, but it is still full of glitches that will hamper
> it being widely distributed and pre-installed on home machines.

UNIX (including GNU/Linux) *can* be made ready for the desktop. MacOS
X is proof.

> For example, I have had a number of problems getting printing to
> work correctly since I installed LM8.  It turns out that I had to go
> in and change some settings in a cup.conf file to get it even half
> way reliable.  I also have had problems upgrading as the RPM manager
> does not seem to have a list of update sites except in the security
> tab.  This can be confusing (and still is to me) because when one
> sees a tab for security, he/she will assume that this is for
> security related updates only.  What if I don't want that kind of
> update?  Where do I get them?
>
> Burning CD's is another problem.  I have tried to get the two cd
> burning programs installed by default to burn cds.  Gcombust finally
> has, but I can't get it to make a bootable copy of the install disk
> 1 for LM8.  There is no documentation I can find and the it
> certainly not self explanatory.

Is your CD-ROM drive actually bootable? My friend bought a new
computer only a few months ago and he found that the CD-ROM drive
wouldn't boot with any bootable CD. If you burn Mandrake from an ISO
image then the resulting CD will be bootable.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan.
                -- Jeremy S. Anderson