I've tried every "consumer" version of Windows from 3.1 through 98SE, and
just this week I got bored enough to install Windows 2000 Professional -- my
first venture down the NT path.  While both Win98 (both editions) and
Win2000 are easy enough to install and configure, I don't really find them
any easier than Mandrake 8.0.  Then again, I'm not a *complete* newbie to
Linux either, and I'm not afraid to open a manual when I need to.

The Windows GUI is a bit prettier than either KDE or Gnome, at least to my
eye, and that may be a factor in its favor.

Most popular applications are written to run under Windows, and so are the
drivers for those "designed for Windows" peripherals; relatively few of
these are available in Linux versions.  Third-party developers may be able
to match the power of Windows apps, but they can't copy the look-and-feel of
another company's user interface -- and too many companies, notably
Microsoft itself, aren't interested in porting their own products to a
non-Windows platform.  As long as moving to Linux also involves learning
different application software, I fear most Windows users are going to stay
with Windows.

But none of this means we should throw in the towel and settle for Windows
full-time.  Far from it!  I am slowly but surely replacing all of my
"Windows" peripherals and apps with products that will work under Linux,
primarily because I prefer the speed with which the open-source community
responds to bug reports.  I really appreciate Linux's stability, especially
when compared with Windows' "consumer" branch -- I don't have that
experience with Win2000 to properly judge its stability.  And of course most
virus/worm/trojan programs target Windows, although I suppose we'll see more
Linux attacks as our preferred OS grows in popularity.

Cost is not a major factor with me, although I know it is with some other
users.  Considering all the boxed sets I've bought (at least four versions
of Mandrake, three of Red Hat, two of Caldera, one each of Debian, SuSE and
Slackware), plus various CD-R sets from CheapBytes, plus a shelfful of
books, plus magazines (included imported UK publications), I probably spend
nearly as much on Linux as I would if I just stayed with Windows.  The big
difference is, almost every dollar I spend on Linux results in either a
substantial improvement in the OS or a greater understanding of it on my
part; with Windows a lot of money just goes for bug-fixes, work-arounds and
(apparently) rewritten Microsoft press releases touting that company's next
version.

BTW, I'm currently using Win2000; if you can read this you'll know it's at
least good enough for casual e-mail on the desktop.  Alas, Win2000 doesn't
seem to like my "designed for Windows" scanner any more than Mandrake does,
although it does work with my USB CD-burner (something I haven't gotten
Mandrake to do yet.)  The really annoying part is, both those devices work
just fine under Win98 (as long as it doesn't crash), although *that* OS
doesn't like it when I connect my HP Deskjet 932C via USB.
--
Walter Luffman, [EMAIL PROTECTED]    Medina, TN USA
Supercharged with extra glucose! (Type 2 diabetes 5/99, d/e/m/motorcycle)