On Saturday 16 June 2001 07:22 pm, civileme wrote:
 Then he will finally be able to load
> PowerPoint, we hope, unless it wants to see a different version
> of Windows, like XP.
>
> I am beginning to believe that if I took someone completely
> ignorant of computers, then he could install linux and have a
> fully functioning system a lot sooner than with windows.

 Well, 'fully functioning system' != Windoze  to begin with ;>

  and I'd add 'fully functioning user' != Winblows either ;~>>

   Seriously, windows is for those who cling to being computer
illiterate, or don't wanna admit they've wasted a bunch of $$'s on
software/hardware that already is substandard/obsolete.  Most often
both.  They got sucked in by adds that say, 'buy a Dell with a powerful
Pentium processor', and of course WINDOZE.

   In light of the recent Winblows rants tho, I'd advise those new to
Linux that are dual booting, to continue for as long as they want to.
I believe the idea of switching to Linux and then frying your
Winblows Cd in the micowave is a bit rash. The transition to a free OS
takes some time, and should be accomplished in measured steps.
It's amazing how the OS and the user improve together over time ;)

  an'Heck, I still use Winblows to fly airplanes ;>   ... and I've been
a 99% Linux user for years.  Probly will continue to, till ...
FlightGear == FS2000   Yep, I still need to dual boot.  But '95 was the
last time Billy Goat got any money from me for his OS. An' I was never
sucked in by Dell, Gateway, Compaq ....   no readymade junk for me.

--
Tom Brinkman      [EMAIL PROTECTED]     Galveston Bay